Article

Tuesday Bantering: Jays Notes — and more

Tuesday Bantering: Jays Notes

Feb 17, 2026; Dunedin, FL, USA; Toronto Blue Jays infielder Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (27) talks with manager John Schneider (14) during spring training at Bobby Mattick Training Center at Englebert Complex. Mandatory Credit: Jonathan Dyer-Imagn Images | Jonathan Dyer-Imagn Images

There isn’t a lot of news coming out of the Jays camp yet.

The first spring game is this Saturday, 1:00 Eastern, against the Phillies. We get a lot of games with the Phillies, as their spring home is about a 15-minute drive from Dunedin.

The big baseball news is that Tony Clark is resigning as the executive director MLB Players Association. There are allegations that he has been pocketing licensing money, which some people frown upon. The US Department of Justice is investigating him. The timing isn’t good as MLB and the Players are starting long negotiations for the next CBA (which sounds very likely to cost us some baseball in 2027).


John Schneider had a speech for his players at the start of camp:


Schneider told the press that Vlad will be more of a leader now that Bo is gone. That sounds silly to me. I guess you have to talk to the press a lot, and you are going to say some silly stuff. The good part is that the team has a number of good leaders on the team. I’d think that George Springer and Kevin Gausman are as much leaders as anyone on the team.


Shi Davidi tells us that the Jays were looking to add more strikeouts to their pitching staff and that Ponce and Cease will do that, as well as having Bieber for a full (ish) season. We were sixth in the majors in strikeouts last year, but adding Ponce, Cease, and having Yesavage for the season could push them to the top of the strikeout leaderboard

I like this quote:

“They’re funny, man, both of them,” Gausman said of Ponce and Cease. “They’re both weird and I think the best pitchers in the game are a little weird.”


If you want to see Kazuma Okamoto (who told reporters that he was very serious and very manly), Keegan Mathson posted some video:


Just a housekeeping note, I’m going to be on holiday mid-March to mid-April. We are going to Japan. I’m hoping to get to watch some baseball over there. Unlike last year, we should have internet service most of the time, but we could use an extra voice or two to help out Tom M keep this place going. If you would like to volunteer, send me an email.

Alcaraz reaparece en Doha con un triunfo firme contra Rinderknech

Parece que fuera hace una eternidad y al mismo tiempo ayer. Solo dos semanas han transcurrido desde que Carlos Alcaraz triunfase por primera vez en Australia y completase el póquer de los Grand Slams, tiempo más que suficiente para que el tenista haya hecho un poco de todo: disfrutar de los suyos en Murcia, pasear entre los bólidos de la Fórmula 1 en el circuito de Bahréin, pescar en las aguas del Golfo Pérsico y, de nuevo, ya de vuelta a la rutina, prolongar esa costumbre adquirida de lejos que consiste en ganar una y otra vez. Este martes tocaba la puesta de largo en el torneo de Doha y el número uno mantuvo el tono: 6-4 y 7-6(5) al francés Arthur Rinderknech, en 1h 47m.

Seguir leyendo

MUNAR, AL MENOS MES Y MEDIO DE BAJA

Una lesión en el brazo derecho detendrá a Jaume Munar durante al menos un mes y medio, según anunció el tenista este martes. El mallorquín, de 28 años, se perderá los cuatro torneos que figuraban en su calendario entre febrero y marzo: Doha y Dubái, además de los Masters de Indian Wells y Miami.

Munar alcanzó la semana pasada los cuartos de final en Róterdam y tenía previsto continuar estos días en Qatar. Sin embargo, la dolencia le obliga a parar y corta su buena dinámica de juego y resultados. Actualmente es el 37º del mundo —tercer español, tras Alcaraz (1º) y el malagueño Alejandro Davidovich (15º)— y en diciembre registró su mejor ranking, 33º.

La temporada anterior fue la mejor de su carrera y la saldó con 31 victorias y 27 derrotas, además de haber firmado su tope en un gran escenario gracias a los octavos de final firmados en el US Open de Nueva York. Luego brilló con fuerza en la Copa Davis.

Ahora, su objetivo es acelerar la recuperación para llegar a la gira sobre tierra batida que comenzará en abril. Su ausencia no tendrá una repercusión relevante en su casillero, puesto que en esta franja solo defendía los 110 puntos obtenidos hace un año.

Miami Central (Fla.) getting $3.5-million practice field renovation

2026 Miami Central wide receiver Brandon Kinsey

The Miami Central (Fla.) football team practices on campus, but on a pretty battered natural grass practice field.

According to a Miami Central head coach Derrick Gibson, that will be no more moving forward for the Rockets. Gibson confirmed to Rivals on Tuesday morning that the school has broken ground on a new $3.5-million turf field installation, which the second-year head coach said will be for athletic practices and hosting junior varsity football games as well.

“Game changer for us,” Gibson said on Tuesday morning to Rivals. “We have nine state titles and with little resources when it comes to facilities, so this is a major step in the right direction. Great day to be a Rocket.”

According to the Miami Central Alumni Association, the new synthetic turf field will also serve soccer and have a track around it.

The project is expected to be finished up in time for the summer as the Rockets continue their search of winning the program’s 10th state championship in 2026. Miami Central last won a state title in 2022, winning the FHSAA’s Class 2M crown.

It adds to what is added excitement for the Miami Central Rockets heading into the 2026 campaign, as Gibson’s bunch is slated to open up the season in California against Orange Lutheran. The Rockets also have a September date versus Buford (Ga.), the No. 1 team to complete the last season according to the Rivals National 2025 High School Football Composite Rankings.

Miami Central finished the 2025 campaign with a 9-2 record in Gibson’s first season as head coach and as the No. 7 in the state, according to the final Florida 2025 High School Football Massey Rankings. The Rockets reached the Class 3A region final before falling to rival Miami Northwestern.

Gibson will once again have one of the top high school football teams in the Sunshine State as Miami Central will feature 2028 four-star cornerback Quartavius Lyons, 2027 four-star cornerback T’ari Miller and 2028 three-star linebacker Steven Moore, respectively.

More about Miami Central High School

Miami Central High School, located in Miami, Florida, is a prominent public high school recognized for its academic rigor, competitive athletics, and diverse extracurricular programs. With a broad selection of AP and honors courses, the school prepares students for higher education and future careers. Miami Central’s athletic teams are notable for their success and school spirit. Emphasizing leadership, community engagement, and personal growth, the school ensures students are well-rounded and ready for future challenges.

How to Follow Florida High School Football

For Florida high school football fans looking to keep up with scores around the nation, staying updated on the action is now easier than ever with the Rivals High School Scoreboard. This comprehensive resource provides real-time updates and final scores from across the Sunshine State, ensuring you never miss a moment of the Friday night frenzy. From nail-biting finishes to dominant performances, the Rivals High School Scoreboard is your one-stop destination for tracking all the high school football excitement across the state of Florida.

Sanders confronts streamer Rakai over celebrity game remarks

Deion Sanders addressed streamer Rakai following remarks made during a recent celebrity game.

The football icon reportedly checked the young streamer directly, signaling a stern response to the comments made on the court.

Retelling the story of a bridge that 'tore a nation of people apart'

In the 1990s, a group of Indigenous women were accused of fabricating claims of sacred sites to stop the construction of a bridge south of Adelaide. It was a decision that has impacted a community for decades.

In brief

Keeping Conley on ice for right now will help keep the … Keeping Conley on ice for right now will help keep the …

Report suggests Woody Johnson meddled in Aaron Glenn's defensive coordinator plans Longtime assistant coach Wink Martindale interviewed twice in January for the Jets' defensive coordinator position, and a new report says that Martindale heard two different things from head coach Aaron Glenn at those two interviews — perhaps because Jets owner Woody Johnson told Glenn to change his plans for the

Report suggests Woody Johnson meddled in Aaron Glenn's defensive coordinator plans Longtime assistant coach Wink Martindale interviewed twice in January for the Jets' defensive coordinator position, and a new report says that Martindale heard two different things from head coach Aaron Glenn at those two interviews — perhaps because Jets owner Woody Johnson told Glenn to change his plans for the